- This event has passed.
July Workshop: Linda Godfrey – “Short, Sharp, Sweet Writing Exercises”
20th July @ 1:00pm - 3:30pm$10 – $15
By the end of this hands-on class, you will have a series of short pieces of writing that you can use separately or combine into a short story, prose or a poem.
- Explore setting, create one character and then we’ll introduce some action.
- Practice workshopping to introduce you to editing your own work and give positive feedback to others.
- Discuss some formal points of writing that will enable you to produce more dynamic, detailed and individual writing.
Bring a pen & paper and the willingness to write long hand.
Linda Godfrey is a poet, writer, editor and teacher. She is a member of Word Salad, a Wollongong local literary salon. As well as being the Program Manager for Wollongong Writers Festival 2015 to 2018, Linda has worked with Overland magazine as a fiction reader; with Newtown Review of Books as a reviewer; and with the Spineless Wonders publishing company. She has a Masters in Professional Writing from UTS, has been a recipient of a Varuna Longlines Residency and also earned a mentorship with the Australian Society of Authors.
Follows an informal lunch in the Rockpool Café and a free morning writing session
Thanks to the South Coast Writers Centre for their assistance in organising this workshop.
- “Loved it. Wasn’t sure what to expect. Thank you.”
- “Writing exercises to make one think. Even if we have our own methods, it still helps to think about where we are going in writing a story of any sort.”
- “I really enjoyed this workshop. The reading out loud was really good, because it showed all the variations that could be applied to the exercises. Thanks very much to Linda.”
- “A great experience. Well designed exercises which resulted in what could become the structure / foundation of a short story or even a novel. Very useful & enjoyable.”
- “Good stuff – well worth it!”
- “Thoroughly entertaining. We all wrote + wrote + wrote, not always to our satisfaction but the words were flowing!”
- “Great workshop, excellent quality. Great to hear what others wrote about the same guidelines.”